Oatmeal Canister turned Grocery Bag Storage

Oatmeal Canister Turned Grocery Bag Storage

My name is Rachel and I’m a grocery bag hoarder.

Doesn’t it seem like you either have 1,038,032 bags, or none at all? There never seems to be a happy medium. All my life, it has seemed like there were either no grocery bags to be found when I needed one, or so many that they were taking over everyone’s lives. One of my goals in life is to NOT be a hoarder. I hate too much stuff, and I loooovvvee throwing crap away. For some reason, though, my genetic makeup (sorry, Dad!) takes over when it comes to grocery bags. I hate throwing them away, because it seems like as soon as I do, I need a bunch for something.

This summer, I was inspired by Hi Sugarplum’s sink cabinet makeover and I organized mine as well. It has stayed pretty neat, and I love the tension rod for my cleaning supplies, by the way! (She was able to use just a tension rod, but apparently I have too much stuff because mine wouldn’t stay up. I had to add some hooks for extra support, which were left over from our closet shelving system.) So that works beautifully, but grocery bags were beginning to take over.

Here’s what the cabinet under my sink looked like recently. The black thing on the left is a grocery bag organizer that I bought before I had a house to put it in, and I hate it. It hurts my fingers and it it’s hard to get bags in and out of it. Don’t buy it. I tried mounting it inside the cabinet doors with command strips, but it didn’t hold, so there it is — just leaning there, completely useless. You can’t really tell, but behind the little pale with towels in it is allllll grocery bags. Every morning when I make Kreig’s lunch, I have to dig through everything under the sink to get to grocery bags because I refuse to mess with the holder thingy. Everything falls out and it makes me grumpy. It’s been driving me crazy for a long time.

DSCN0884

My wheels have been turning on this one for a while. I have seen people use containers from cleaning wipes to store grocery bags, but I wasn’t ready to reduce my hoard that much. I did a little Googling and saw some coffee cans turned grocery bag storage, but I still didn’t think that was big enough, and plus I have a Keurig so I don’t have any coffee cans. I got brainstorming a little bit, and realized an oatmeal canister would work…. and I had one! A normal person would have waited until the oats were gone to steal their packaging, but I’m crazy impatient, so I dumped the oats in a freezer bag and cleaned out the container.

DSCN0868
Of course I couldn’t leave it looking like an oatmeal container, so I got out my favorite Target Dollar Spot wrapping paper and cut it to size. I just ran some strips of double-sided tape from top to bottom, every few inches around the canister. This is my best attempt at a picture of that… you can kind of see the tape:

DSCN0871

I just wrapped the paper around the canister, overlapping it a little bit.

DSCN0874

It probably would have been fine with just the paper, but I worried that it might get wet. So, I covered the wrapping paper with some clear Con-Tact paper to protect it. It makes it look a little less pretty because it kind of blurries up the pattern on the paper, but it’s still cuter than oats… or water stains.

DSCN0875

For the top, I traced a circle onto it.

DSCN0879

Then I cut out the circle by folding it in half first to start my cut.

DSCN0880

Here’s the top when it was all done. Not perfect, but who cares? The grocery bags will be popping through it anyway.

DSCN0883

And voila! Here’s what the cabinet under my sink looks like now… Ahh, it makes me happy!

20130215-084530.jpg

I love the finished product… A pretty and functional little grocery bag holder/dispenser. And I am vowing right now that if it’s full, I will throw the extra bags out!

20130215-084824.jpg

Linking up with Serenity Now Blog, Tatertots and Jello, One Artsy Mama, Our Fifth House, iHeart Organizing, Thrifty Decor Chick, A Thoughtful Place and Organizing Made Fun

28 thoughts on “Oatmeal Canister turned Grocery Bag Storage

1. Crysta Icore says:

Reblogged this on ~ Morning Tempest Studios ~ and commented:
    Super Crafty idea from a great crafty blogger!

2. I love it! And I have the great big oatmeal canister only I think I threw in the recycle bin. Maybe I can sweet talk my honey into digging it out for me! I’m so doing this!

xo,
    Christy

3. Chessa says:

OH my goodness! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing this. I’m pinning and then plan to empty the Oatmeal so I can do the same thing!

4. Aunt Mame says:

Looks great Rach! You are so clever! Here’s an idea to “laminate” it…packing tape…I buy it by the case…and it is always on my Christmas list. Just start at the top…wrap it around and move down for the next strip. Another thing that is great to have on hand for clear water repellancy (is that a word?) is the super clear plastic you can buy off the roll at JoAnn’s. It is usually near the vinyl tablecloth by the yard. It is really cheap and a great thing to have in your craft supplies. That plastic wrapped around the drum secured with double face or packing tape would maybe do the trick!

5. amy says:

ooooh! This is such a great idea! I never know what to do with the bags I want to save and I feel like they junk up my kitchen. I would love it if you shared this idea at my weekend party, going on now! http://www.oneartsymama.com/2013/02/shine-on-fridays-67-and-giveaway.html

6. [...] week, I linked up my Oatmeal Canister turned Grocery Bag Storage.  I just went to Serenity Now to check out the featured posts, because I wanted to look at other [...]

7. DesignedByBH says:

This is perfect! I keep a lot of bags, too, and they just live shoved under my cabinet…which is not my favorite way of storing them…so I’m going to have to do this! Now excuse me while I go and make some oatmeal…a lot of oatmeal…so I can have the container! :)

8. JQ says:

Great, great project! I used the same wrapping paper (thank you, Target) for a bookcase makeover. I was surprised how much paper was there for $1! Hope you have a chance to stop by and take a look: http://itsalwaysruetten.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-to-cheaply-personalize-bookcase.html.

Found you via Serenity Now!

JQ

• Thank you thank you!

I love your bookcase, and how smart to cover foam board and pop it in there instead of applying the paper directly to the bookcase!

I saw that you also used the paper for a backdrop for your chicken soup! I used it for my buffalo chicken meatballs… Great minds!

9. carmel says:

This is genius! I have that same paper – now to find a canister. pinning! Thanks for joining the party!

10. [...] Break Day 2:  I used instructions from HerothHome and transformed an empty oatmeal canister into a plastic bag holder/dispenser.  Here’s the [...]

11. Lanette says:

Must go buy oatmeal now! :) The Tupperware I have my oatmeal in will hopefully be near empty? LOL Would love to move my bags out of the pantry to under the sink. I think this storage solution will do the trick! (BTW, the diaper wipes container is not any better (at least the box ones) than your big black box as it also hurts my hand to pull them out. I always end up opening the top to get a bag out. That’s what I use to store bags in each of my bathrooms for the garbage cans)

12. Jessica says:

Love it! I saw our neighboring projects on the Thrifty Decor Chick link up (I’m over at # 103 & 102). This looks so easy and functional. Now I have a plan for my next oatmeal canister!
    Jess

13. kellymariej says:

PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT! Thank you for the idea! I have plastic bags floating all over my laundry room!

14. […] 3. Oatmeal Canister turned Grocery Bag Storage […]

15. What an excellent idea! Thanks for sharing this. I now have to go eat some oatmeal so I can empty a container to make one of these.

16. Lauren says:

I don’t have a lot of grocery bags floating around (I recycle them) BUT the few I do have, I put into a small square tissue box. I have two of them. One in my kids bathroom since their trashcan fills up faster and the 2nd is in the car for the trashcan in there. I just roll the bags up into a ball and put them in the boxes.

17. Jenny Lynn says:

I love it! I use grocery bags for my Hubby’s lunch everyday. They are over taking the pantry, cupboards and drawers in my Kitchen. I think it is time to bake a large batch of Oatmeal cookies tomorrow, so I can create one of these. Visiting from Organizing Junkie

18. I have the exact same holder and it such a pain! I wish I had tried it out before mounting it! I just pinned your idea though and will try that next

19. So clever! I love this. And I even have that paper. Thanks for sharing.

I love to hear from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 56 other followers